ENG 17: Circuits I
- ENG 017-A01 to A05
- Lecture: Tuesday & Thursday, 10:00 – 11:20am in Hunt 100
- Discussion (required):
- CRN 32310: Tuesdays, 12:10 – 1:00pm in Wellman 1
- CRN 53657: Tuesdays, 3:10 – 4:00pm in Physics 140
Social Science & Humanities 80
- CRN 53658: Tuesdays, 7:10 – 8:00pm in Hoagland Hall 108
- CRN 53659: Thursdays, 3:10 – 4:00pm in Hickey Gymnasium 290
- CRN 53660: Thursdays, 5:10 – 6:00pm in Social Science & Humanities 90
- Physics 9C (C- or better), Math 22A (C- or better), Math 22B (may be taken concurrently)
- If you would like to take ENG 17 without having satisfied the prerequisites, you will be required to fill out the Missing Prerequisite Documentation Form created by the College of Engineering. After you have filled out all parts of the form above the dashed line, please ask me, in person, to sign it. Best to do this after the first or second class.
This course covers the following topics in linear circuit analysis. By the end of the course, you should be able to demonstrate proficiency in each area.
- Electrical quantities and elements
- Resistive Circuits
- Transient and steady-state responses of RLC circuits
- Sinusoidal excitation and phasors
- Complex frequency and network functions
- Power Calculations
- Dr. Kyle Montgomery (Lecturer / Researcher)
- Office: Kemper 3101
- Office Hours: Wednesdays 1-2pm & Fridays 11am-12pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note: for all course-related questions, use the Piazza forums (see below for more details). I will only address personal questions via email.
- If you do absolutely have to email me, then please put “[ENG17]” in the subject, so that it is filtered appropriately.
- Website: kmontgomery.net
Teaching Assistants (TA)
- Nathan Ellis
- Songjie Bi
- Burcu Ercan
- Chi Van Pham
- Xin Zhao
- Yuhao Liu
- Office Hours:
- Monday, 4-5:30pm, Kemper 2003 w/Chi & Yuhao
- Tuesday, 4-5:30pm, Kemper 3087, w/Burcu and Songjie
- Wednesday, 4-5:30pm, Kemper 2101, w/Songjie and Yuhao
- Thursday, 4-5:30pm, Kemper 2101, w/Chi
- Friday, 4-5:30pm, Kemper 3087, w/Burcu
For this course, we will be using an online tool called Piazza for all course communication. Piazza is a communication tool designed around the idea that anyone can ask and answer questions. Dr. Montgomery and/or TAs will post any course-related announcements on Piazza (NOT SmartSite). Any questions or comments you have about the course, whether related to the lectures, assignments, exams, etc., should be posted to Piazza. For personal or grade related questions, please email Dr. Montgomery. If a classmate posts a question that you can answer, please do so! Everyone benefits from asking and answering each others’ questions. Dr. Montgomery and TAs will also answer questions and/or validate another student’s answer. And, Piazza has mobile apps for all your nifty devices (Android, iOS).
- REQUIRED: Electric Circuits, 10th or 9th ed, by Nilsson & Riedel
- Recommended Supplemental Text (not required for this course): Fundamentals of Electric Circuits, by Alexander & Sadiku
- On the course calendar, reading assignments are given that correlate with the material being presented on that day. You are encouraged to review these sections prior to coming to that day’s class. The sections given apply to both the 9th and 10th editions of the textbook (both editions have the same sections).
- 2% Online Participation (reasonable engagement on Piazza.com)
- 3% Discussion Section Quizzes
- 10% Homework
- 25% Midterm 1
- 25% Midterm 2
- 35% Final Exam (Comprehensive)
- Extra Credit: Possible 5 extra points on each exam
Extra Credit (optional)
- An additional problem set will be assigned prior to each exam, with the intention of use as a study aid.
- You may choose to submit this along with your exam for possible extra credit.
- They will be graded in the same regard as the homeworks, but only one problem will be graded, for a potential 5 additional points on your exam score.
- Youtube Videos of Textbook (9th ed) Problem Solutions by Thuy Myers (note: I have not vetted these solutions, so use at your own risk)